Thursday, June 19, 2014

38 Week Pregnancy Update


Two weeks to go! Maybe more, maybe less. The waiting game is kind of frustrating. But I am actually very content right now. I feel pretty good. If you read my last update, you may remember me saying that I would probably be ready to have this baby out by now. But that's not the case. She'll come when she is ready (still hard to wrap my head around saying "she"), and I'm ok with that!

In the last couple weeks I have had a bit more swelling my my legs and feet, I even had to buy new tennis shoes! Some days I am affected by it more than others, but when I get the chance (after the boys go to bed), and I put my feet up, the swelling subsides. Both my midwife and my chiropractor advised an increase in protein and water consumption to help alleviate swelling. As far as back pain and other body pain issues, I don't feel as uncomfortable as I did a few weeks ago. I am thinking it may have to do with the chiropractic appointments I have had. I have been seeing Kelly at Flourish Chiropractic in South Minneapolis. She comes highly recommended by my midwife (and many others).

I think that staying active and drinking lots of water is what is making the end of this pregnancy easier than my last.

Bug is really becoming quite the mama's boy. I am starting to feel a bit guilty. He really likes his hugs, cuddles and mama time. We went to the zoo last week, and while he doesn't mind the stroller, he prefers walking or being worn on my back in a mie tai, this one is by Infantino. I will be doing a lot of baby wearing with this new little one coming. I may have to learn and master tandem baby wearing.


He just likes to be close to mommy. While he loves babies and always wants to give them a lot of attention (ie, smothing with hugs and kisses). I'm wondering how he'll do when this baby gets a lot of mommy's attention. As of right now, he doesn't mind sharing my attention with a baby. But that baby never comes home with us, so it will be interesting to see how he does. 

I had my 38 week check up today. All my vitals are good, baby's heartbeat is in the 150's. My midwife sometimes uses the fetal scope to listen to the heartbeat, rather than the doppler. Today I listened to the heartbeat through the fetal scope for the first time. Oh my gosh, so neat to hear! You only hear the heartbeat, none of the whosh whosh you get from the doppler. If you ever have the chance to hear your baby's heartbeat through a fetal scope, do it! She remains head down although she hasn't started to engage into the pelvis, so I won't be expecting her to arrive in the next few days! 

Weight gain... I'm at 40 lbs. According to my midwife I'm tiny. Not exactly how I'd describe myself. According to my "I'm Expecting" app, my weight gain is excessive, but I don't agree with that either. I'm not too concerned about a few extra pounds. 

Baby girl still doesn't have a name. I have a few in mind, but nothing that my husband and I have agreed on yet. 

Are you pregnant? How far along, how are you feeling? Is this your first pregnancy, second? How have your pregnancies compared? 











1 comment:

  1. You look so fabulous lady! Woohoo for two more weeks!

    ReplyDelete