Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Peanut Butter and Jelly Pie

We celebrated my Mother-in-laws birthday the other day. About a week before her birthday I asked Squirrel what we should make Grandma for her birthday. His response "A jelly pie... a jelly pie with peanut butter!". My initial thought... not something that sounded appealing to me at all!

I then got on Facebook to share Squirrel's idea of a peanut butter and jelly pie with my friends and Grandma.

One of my friends sent me a recipe.  

Grandma said Squirrel's idea sounded good.

Well, that meant I had no excuse not to help Squirrel make a peanut butter and jelly pie for Grandma's birthday. I remained skeptical.

Ingredients:
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
1/4 cup warm water
1 (12-ounce) jar seedless strawberry jam
3/4 cup peanut butter
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
1 (8-ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
1 pre-baked (9 or 10-inch) pie shell
Roasted peanuts, for garnish

There were only a few ingredients we needed that I don't normally have (or have enough of) in the pantry:





I did have peanut butter and jelly, but what I have is natural which has chunks, the recipe called for seedless jelly and creamy peanut butter. If I make it again, I will stick to the natural jelly and peanut butter. It wouldn't hurt to add some texture to the pie.

I bought a frozen pie crust, a graham crust would work too.  Make sure you bake the crust before you add your pie filling.

1. To begin with you'll want add your packet of gelatin to 1/4 cup of warm water in a small saucepan.
Let that sit while you do the next step.

2. Mix peanut butter, cream cheese, vanilla and milk with mixer until smooth.



3. Go back to the gelatin/water. Place on stove. Set to low. Warm and mix until the gelatin dissolves. Be sure not to let it boil.



4. When fully dissolved, pour into a blender (or food processor) with the jar of jelly and blend.



5. Add powdered sugar to peanut butter mix and blend until smooth.



6. Carefully fold in whipped topping.

7. Begin assembling the pie by adding 1/3 of the jelly mixture to the pie crust.


Then add a layer of peanut butter mixture (you will not use all of the peanut butter mixture for your pie, there will be a lot left, but not quit enough for two pies). Start at the edge then move your way to the middle, otherwise the jelly mixture will push up along side the pie crust. Then add another layer of jelly and top with a layer of peanut butter (starting at the edges again). 

8. Once the final peanut butter layer is on make a few holes/dents and pour on some more jelly mixture. Then swirl with handle of spoon.

Let pie chill for several hours in fridge before serving.

Looks pretty, doesn't it?


This turned out way better than I thought it would.
And it was so good!

It totally does taste like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, only sweeter.


I think this is a fun pie to make with kids. Squirrel really enjoys helping out in the kitchen, even though he won't eat (or even try) many things we make. But what kid doesn't like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches?

The best part, Grandma liked it too!





No comments:

Post a Comment