Sunday, July 7, 2013

Home Made(ish) French Onion Soup

I have been wanting to make some french onion soup for a while now. I searched for a recipe that didn't require too many ingredients. 

Many recipes called for fresh herbs. While I like fresh herbs and all, I don't like to spend the money if I know some of the package will go to waste. 

Then I found this recipe!






 Ingredients:                                                                                       
2 cans of beef broth (14 oz. each)
1 can beef consomme
2 large onions, sliced into 1/4" strips
2 Tbls. butter
2 cloves garlic
dash of Worcestershire 
brick of cheese (swiss, mozzarella or provolone)
french bread





Step 1:
Place sliced onions and butter into a deep edged saute pan. Cook on medium heat, stirring frequently, for 20 minutes.


Step 2:
Add garlic. You can either use a garlic press, chop finely or use a fine cheese grater (which is what I do).
Cook for another 2 minutes or so, continue stirring to avoid burning the garlic.





Step 3:
Add both cans of beef broth, can of beef consomme, and Worcestershire. Stir and bring to boil. Continue boiling while you prepare step 4.

 

Step 4:
Cut four pieces of french bread in about 1" thick slices. Place on baking sheet and put under broiler two minutes to toast, flip and toast other side. If you have a wide slice toaster you could also use that.


Step 5:
Assemble. Using a ladle put soup in oven safe mug or bowl. Leave a bit of space at the top of your mug or bowl to place the french bread. Then place sliced cheese on top of bread slightly going over the edge of your mug or bowl.


Step 6:
Put mug or bowl on cookie sheet and place in oven. You can either put under broiler until cheese is melted and bubbly or place in oven at 400 degrees.  


Step 7:
Enjoy your soup! Caution, mug/bowl will be hot!


I used swiss cheese when I originally made this. Little did I know... I don't like swiss cheese! So when I had leftovers the next day I used mozzarella. So yummy! This is definitely a recipe I will be making over and over!


 



3 comments:

  1. A long time ago I enjoyed French Onion Soup at a restaurant in the Quarter (New Orleans). Ever since then, I've wanted to make it at home. Thank you for sharing this! Anne Sweden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't like it as a kid, something about soggy bread. But as an adult I love it, this was my first time making it. I think it may be a regular this winter!

      Delete
  2. looks really good

    knickgirl_3 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete