Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Edible Deodorant!?

What would you say if I told you I could eat my deodorant?

Ok, so I wouldn't really eat my deodorant, but I could! I made my all natural deodorant with items found right in my kitchen.

After doing a bit of research I found a recipe I liked which also had some great feedback.

 
My recipe included items that I already had on hand:

6 T. Coconut Oil (softened works best)
4 T. Baking Soda
4 T. Corn Starch
Couple Drops Lavender (or other) Essential Oil (optional)

Step 1: Mix together baking soda and corn starch.
Step 2: Using a fork, mash the coconut oil into the baking soda/corn starch mixture until well blended.
Step 3: Add a couple drops of essential oil and mash until blended.




I had the recipe book marked on the computer for a while before I actually made it. It wasn't until I was out of deodorant, and wasn't going to be out and about for a few days, that I decided to make it.

I have been very happy with my homemade deodorant so far. It took a couple days for me to get used to applying deodorant with my fingers. Not sure why that was so weird for me, but it was. You could put it into an empty deodorant applicator, but you'd want to make sure it didn't get too warm as coconut oil melts at 77 degrees. I store mine in a reusable glass container.

I used virgin coconut oil for my deodorant, which has the coconut smell. If you don't like the smell of virgin coconut you could use expeller-pressed coconut oil which is flavorless and scent free.

Besides being natural, another great thing about this deodorant is that you don't need a lot. I use about a pea sized amount per underarm. While I am not doing heavy manual labor I am chasing my little ones around all day and have had no issues with smell. I definitely recommend trying it!






No comments:

Post a Comment