Friday, March 1, 2013

Bug-A-Boo's 1st Birthday


My baby boy turned one on the 14th! I can't believe how time flies.

This year I decided to throw a themed party. I kind of went all out, not something I have done before. If you haven't guessed all ready... the theme was Bugs! I figured it was fitting since I call him my "Bug-A-Boo".  Little did I know how hard it was going to be to find bug themed party stuff. I found a few ideas on pinterest for snacks and decor, but not much.

When Squirrel turned one I bought a 'My 1st Birthday' romper. But I decided that being I only used it once, I didn't want to waste the money on another 1st birthday outfit for Bug. Instead I decided to get him a custom Bug cloth diaper that he could wear when he was tearing into his cake and any other time! I search many WAHM and Etsy shops, not finding much. I then decided to message some, well, like 15 of them! Only one of them had bug fabric, but it was light blue with dark blue bug shadows, I wanted something with a bit of color to it.  I then got a message from Cherry Blossom Babies, she said she was going to the fabric store the next day and would look for some fabric. She found fabric and started making the diaper right away!

The custom Bug diaper!

I then went to JoAnn Fabric, but the local store is a small one. I was looking for bug scrapbook paper for the birthday banner (because, what do you know, nobody had bug banners either).  Well, no luck in finding bug paper. I then looked through all the fabrics, in the last isle I found fabric, and it was the same print as Bug's diaper! So I got 1/4 yd for the banner.

I also stopped at the party store to get some plastic bugs, which were also few and far between! But with them I made some center pieces for the tables.



















The food was fun! I made a "Caterpillar Bake", which was actually a baked creamy rotini. I aslo made some "Bug Bites", "Ants on a Log", "Worms in the Mud" and "Bug Juice".

Eating his Caterpillar Bake... well, throwing it.


Chocolate Covered Pretzels with Sprinkles
Graham Cookies with Frosting and Pretzels
Pudding with Gummy Worms and Oreos

Blue Kool Aid With Bugs in Ice Cubes


But the best part was the cake! I can't take credit for this one! My mom purchased the cake at a bakery near her house. They did a great job.
My mom went in with a couple pictures from the web and little instruction and came out with this:


Bug wasn't too keen on the cake. He ate some frosting, then screamed until he was clean, dry and clothed.


After I bathed him I had some cake and ice cream myself. Bug came over and enjoyed the ice cream with me, but still wanted nothing to do with the cake.

He then got to open his presents, but like most 1 year olds, he would have been happy getting just wrapping paper, tissue paper and bags!


It will probably be a while before I do another themed birthday party, but he had fun! 

Thank you to everyone who helped out and celebrated with us!





No comments:

Post a Comment