Friday, March 15, 2013

Calming The Teething Baby

Bug started getting his teeth when he was 5 months old. His first two came in rather quick, then about a month later his top teeth started coming and and the biting while nursing started (that's a whole different story). I always knew when he was getting another tooth because he would start biting again. By the time he was 10 months old he already had 8 teeth! Since about 11 months his gums have been swollen from his molars. They are taking forever to come in! I knew I couldn't just keep giving him Tylenol and teething tablets, but I also could tell he was uncomfortable. 

I then discovered Amber Teething necklaces. 


An amber teething necklace is not something baby chews on. It is a necklace they wear, that should not be long enough to go into the mouth.

How it works:
The relief of teething pain does not come from pressure on the gums.  Amber contains succinic acid, which is a natural analgesic (pain reliever). When warmed, such as by body heat, the succinic acid in the amber is released and absorbed into the skin and through the blood stream. 

 There is a knot between each amber bead, so if it should break, you'll only loose one bead, rather than the whole necklace falling apart.  


They come in different lengths and colors. Raw amber works better than polished amber and lighter amber also has more succinic acid than the lighter colored amber. 

For the necklaces to do it's job it has to be under the clothing touching baby's skin.

I got one for Bug when he was about 11 months old. So far I like it. These molars have taken so long to come in and it relives some of the discomfort, or seems to anyway, I can't really ask him. He still has days where he is particularly crabby, such as today, and I'll give him teething tablets. When the teeth are actually emerging I give him some Tylenol. I feel bad for the little guy, the darn teeth have been bothering him for so long, I just wish they'd come through all ready!

He has never really been one for teething toys. When he started teething he wasn't old enough to really get anything into his mouth. So far the only teething 'toy' that has worked for us was a plastic baby spoon. I had to be really careful though that he didn't roll over or fall over with it in his mouth.

I also have a pendant teething necklace that I wear. 
 
This one is actually for baby to chew on, so it gives relief through pressure on the gums. It's great because I can wear jewelry and it is safe for Bug to chew and tug on. It is also nice for going out. I don't have to worry about his teether falling on the grocery store floor or the pavement in a parking lot, we all know that babies like the throw it on the floor and watch mommy pick it up game!

What are some teething remedies that have worked for your little one?


Disclosure: I was not compensated for this review nor did I receive and product. I was not asked to write a review. All comments are my own personal opinion.





No comments:

Post a Comment